Thursday, February 17, 2011

Party Worms

Does anyone else have worms that come out at night and party in their grass? My house in West Seattle had no yard to speak of, and what there was of it never saw the blade of a mower pass over it once. Bad mowing karma, which is another story to be shared once the grass starts growing up here.
On the nightly dog walk around the property I wear a head lamp during the dark of winter. It helps to avoid things like pine trees, doggie residue, and the side of the barn. We headed out across the mown section of “lawn” and I thought, “we must have had a lot of twigs blown off from that last wind storm”. As my light shown on the ground, before me were hundreds and hundreds of worms. Big fat nightcrawlers and short skinny ones, but all incredibly fast as they could disappear back into the soggy ground faster than my boot could unintentionally squish them.
My theory is that they hold their breath when the ground is frozen, and when we get these intermitent warm spells and the ground thaws, they all bolt to the surface gasping for air. Since they ended up in the same place high-fiving each other, why not smoke cigarettes, drink, and party into the night.
Worms are our friends as every gardener knows, but this falls into the creepy beyond belief category and I wish they’d take their party elsewhere.
Sorry, no pictures.

1 comment:

  1. At least they're having fun and getting home safely. When I walk to work after a lot of rain has fallen, there are countless worms on the pavement, looking cold and lost, many half-squished. Guess they didn't know when to stop!

    ReplyDelete